Monday, January 16, 2012

Flavor and Spice and Everything Nice

Location: Cuetopia, TX - Home of the Fighting Sausage Heads
Cost: $4.95 + shipping and handling
Link:  Texas Hot Pepper & Wing Sauce
I like spicy and I like flavor. There are some hot sauces that are just spicy and that is all they bring to a dish. There are others that just bring flavoring with no spice. Texas Hot sauce is neither of these. It brings flavor and heat. 

I have had this sauce for a while but have been holding off on reviewing it until I was able to try it on a couple of different items. The first thing I tried it in was Cuetopia's Three Mistake Chile. The chile is good but the hot sauce brought it to another level with flavor and heat. I also tried it on my pigs on the wing and smoked wings. It made for very happy mouths at my house. 
The sauce is not super hot (though there are some who would think it is) but it is not mild either. It has just the right heat to it to spice up a dish with the right flavors to enhance just about any spicy dish there is. My older brother, who likes nuclear hot stuff, thought it was a nice flavor agent but not spicy enough. 

The color of the sauce is a nice red-orange and you can see the spice floating in the sauce. It's not runny like some hot sauces but it is not thick like ketchup. You can taste the vinegar base it is made with but that only works to enhance the red pepper and black pepper that is in it. The ingredients in it are simple but they are mixed in the right amounts to make for a nice hot sauce. 
On the Gibbs Rib scale* I give this sauce a solid 3/4 rib rack. It is not the best hot sauce I have had but it is good and can enhance many dishes. There are a few sauces I have had that have some extra ingredients that I like more so I was unable to give this sauce a full rack. Would I buy this sauce over other larger name sauces? Heck yeah, in a heart beat. 


*When I do reviews, books or otherwise, I rate the items with ribs (they are my favorite BBQ dish). A full rack is great and a single rib is poor. I will tend to stick to a full rack, half rack or one rib.

No comments:

Post a Comment