Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Interview: Give it to God BBQ Team

Team: Give It To God BBQ
Location: Ponchatoula, LA

I started to follow Give it to God BBQ on Facebook and read their posts about BBQ competitions so I figured I would find out a little more about the team. Jeff was gracious enough to say yes. Not only do they compete at competitions they also hold a Church service for other competitors and build some useful BBQ charcoal baskets.


Q4F: How did you get started doing BBQ? 
Give It To God BBQ: I love to eat :), so BBQ was a part of my life in a way for as long as I can remember... it took a serious turn 4 years ago when I started competing.

Q4F: How did you come up with the name Give It To God BBQ? 
GitG: God gave it to me...Loud and Clear.  I was coming home from my 2nd competition where I was competing under the name Krieger Machine works... got my butt kicked again.... and God said, you're changing your team name to Give it to God... I want you to take me to these contests and tell people about me....
Jeff of Team Give It To God
Q4F: What was your first competition and how did you fare?
GitG: My first competition was in my home town, Ponchatoula, LA and I made the final table on Ribs and from that point, I was HOOKED!

Q4F: How many competitions a year do you compete in? What’s the furthest you've travelled for one?
GitG: Right now, I have 30 on the schedule for this year.  It's going to be a banner year for getting the word out around the country from Tampa FL, to Delaware, to D.C. to Chicago, Minneapolis, LA and San Diego as well as Kansas City..... lots of windshield time this year.

Q4F: What is your favorite style of competition? KCBS, MB, other? Why?
GitG: KCBS, because it's the world class standard for Professional BBQ Competitions.

Q4F: Do you have any advice for those wanting to start competing in BBQ?
GitG: Actually, I wrote a little hand book, called Going Pro that walks people through the process of getting started in competition and what they can expect.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmTqKvRtdsPQdeyPHAX59aB-0yyG1598i (Q4F: There's some good information in these)

Q4F: Can you give one piece of advice for those who want to cook BBQ?
GitG: Time. Great BBQ is all about having, and taking, the TIME to allow the meat, heat, smoke, rubs and sauce to all do their thing and marry together for an amazing end product.

Q4F: What is your favorite meat to cook? What is your favorite to eat?
GitG: I love the big meats, brisket and Pork butts, love to cook ribs and love to cook Chicken real simple...just salt and pepper... my favorite meat on the grill is lamb steaks.

Q4F: Do you cook anything special to celebrate Easter? If so what?
 GitG: Lamb, Love Lamb.

Q4F: How do you cook your lamb steaks?
GitG: Lamb steaks, real simple.... on a hot grill, salt and pepper both sides, grill em hot and fast.... one of the best bites of food you'll ever have :)

Q4F: What is the strangest thing you have ever cooked on a pit? 
GitG: Beef tongue....turned out terrible by the way :)

Thanks again to Jeff and the Give it to God team for taking the time to answer a few questions. Look for them at a competition and say, "Hi"

1 comment:

  1. Great interview! Love Jeff and what Give it to God brings to BBQ! Amen!

    ReplyDelete