Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Review: Thermoworks TW8060

Company: ThermoWorks
Location: Lindon, UT
Product: TW8060
Price: $69-$221 (depending on accessories)

I never trust the thermometers that come in my cookers. I also have a couple cookers that don't have thermometers so it is hard to know what their temperatures are. Lifting the lid of the cooker to check the meat temperature causes heat fluctuations that affect the cook time and that's not good. The TW8060 has helped with each of these problems and is made by the same great people that make the Thermapen.



I purchased this my TW8060 last fall and have used it on every cook since I got it. It has two couplings for two temperature probes so you can monitor the cookers temperature and the meats temperature at the same time. Or you could monitor two cookers or two hunks of meat.





The thermometer also has an alarm setting so you can set it for highs and lows. If you want to maintain temperature between 225°-250° you can set the alarm to go off when the cooker drops below 225° or goes above 250°. This is great for BBQ. It helps you maintain a nice even cooking temperature throughout the cook. You can also set it to go off at 195° so you know when to pull the pork butt off.

Another nice feature is the LCD screen is backlit so you can see the temperature on those late night or early morning cooks. I don't know how many times I have misread a thermometer because the flash light didn't hit the thermometer right, or there was a funky shadow that made it hard to read.




It is small and compact. Easy to pack and take to competitions. Thermoworks does sell a carrying case and some other accessories for it. It uses two AA batteries so it isn't expensive to keep up.




On the Gibbs' Ribs scale* I give the ThermoWorks TW8060 a full rack of ribs. It is easy to use and maintain. It is accurate and allows me to monitor cooker and meat temperature at the same time. It is also made by Thermoworks who stand behind all their products and have great customer support. If your looking for a BBQ thermometer I would defiantly give this one a look.

*When I do reviews, books or otherwise, I rate the items with ribs (they are my favorite BBQ dish). A full rack is great and a single rib is poor. I will tend to stick to a full rack, half rack or one rib.

No comments:

Post a Comment