Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Review: Proud Piggy BBQ Sauce - Sauce shots anyone?

Creator: Southern Staple Foods
Location: Waxhaw, NC
Cost: $3.75 (15oz. Bottle)
Link: Proud Piggy BBQ Sauce

Every year Fort Mill has a Strawberry Festival. This year one of the vendors was Proud Piggy BBQ sauce, and I have to say any pig would be proud to swim in this. I was lucky enough to win a bottle due to an twitter contest Big Wayner was running with them. I'm glad I won it.



First Look
This is an Western NC vinegar sauce. It looks like an Eastern style but it does have some ketchup in it. Looking at it you can see the spices suspended in it. As any vinegar sauce, it is runny, so be careful pouring it. The flavor is the twang of the vinegar with a punch of spice followed by a sweetness from the brown sugar in it.

First Taste
This is one of my favorite sauces I have tried. It is so good I have done shots of it. It really adds to good pulled pork. The sauce gives it just the right flavor punch to make the pork a truly memorable meal.

On the Gibbs Ribs scale* I give this sauce a full rack with an extra side of BBQ baked beans. It is an awesome example of NC style sauce and complements any pulled pork you put it with.

*When I do reviews, books or otherwise, I rate the items with ribs (they are my favorite BBQ dish). A full rack is great and a single rib is poor. I will tend to stick to a full rack, half rack or one rib.

No comments:

Post a Comment