Friday, March 21, 2014

Review: Steak Magic - Made From Unicorn Horns

Creator: Sograte BBQ and Brew
Location: Lubbock, TX
Cost: @$7.99 +shipping
Link:  Steak Magic

Sograte BBQ and Brew sent me some samples of their rubs to review. I decided to try the Steak Magic first. At first I thought it said "Steele Magic" on the bag and was a bit curious about that. Was it due to the color? The persons last name who created it? Then I realized it was "Steak Magic."

Once that was sorted out I decided I better give it a try. It's a nice blend of pepper, salt and other spices that work well with various meats but really enhances the flavors of beef.



First Impressions:
Looking at it in the bag you can see the black and red pepper, salt and other spices. When you open it and smell it, it has a peppery smell with overtones of garlic. Tasting a little bit of it you get the salt and garlic flavor followed by a touch of heat. It is a nice blend of spices that works well on meats.

Taste Testing:
For my first test I used chicken. Chicken flavor is more neutral so you can get a good idea of what the spices taste like cooked. I sprinkled some of the Steak Magic on the chicken and grilled it. A very simple presentation. The chicken was good. The spice enhanced the meat and brought out it's natural flavors while bringing a nice salt and pepper taste to it. I used the chicken to make chicken salad which was very good.

Grilling the Steak Magic chicken.
Right off the grill.
For the next test I used the rub in hamburgers. I mix the rub into the meat and then make the patties. I grilled the burgers on a grill and served them with fries and fried pickles. I made the fried pickles using some of Sogrates BBQ rub but that will be in another review. I figured the burgers would be decent. They were. They were more than decent. It was one of the best burgers I have had in a long time. I think there is ground nicorn horn in the Steak Magic giving it the magic to enrich the flavors of beef.
Grilling the burgers
Ready to eat.
I figured it was just a fluke thing that the burger tasted so good. I decided to try it on steak. Sadly, I didn't get photos of those. They were great.

Final Assessment:
I recommend picking up some of the Steak Magic and giving it a try. It really enhances the beef you use it on and brings great flavor to other foods and meat. On the Gibbs' Ribs scale Steak Magic gets a Full Rack for it's excellent blend and meat enhancing properties. I'm not sure where they get the ground unicorn horn to bring the magic to the rub but I hope their supply doesn't run out.


*When I do reviews, books or otherwise, I rate the items with ribs (they are my favorite BBQ dish). A full rack is great and a single rib is poor. I will tend to stick to a full rack, half rack or one rib.

No comments:

Post a Comment